Nonviolence International is an international humanitarian organization that seeks nonviolent solutions in violent and oppressive situations.
Nonviolence International New York (NVI-NY) is a volunteer and youth powered office of Nonviolence International in the Heart of Harlem that advocates for those solutions on a global scale through civil society participation at the United Nations and then brings those solutions back home to local grassroots partners throughout the United States.
NVI-NY opened in 2014 and has rapidly grown to become an innovative educational, advocacy, and communications-based organization. It conducts and produces important research, projects, and events on a growing number of issues including disarmament, sustainable peace, and American politics.
The dual Mission of Nonviolence International is:
(1) To collaborate with our civil society partners toward the success of our shared political goals
(2) To give interns and volunteers the highest quality educational experience possible concerning the functioning of the United Nations, relations between the UN and civil society and the working dynamics of international and U.S. politics. Allowing us to help achieve our shared goals while raising the generation of civil society leaders.
Our program is built for a win-win environment in which each position is designed to achieve three aspects:
(1) Education, that allows the interns to participate in professional settings with the support of established professionals leading in their fields allowing them to learn and grow in their chosen careers.
(2) Advocacy, by guiding the interns and empowering them to go to important U.N. events then helping us strengthen civil society by working alongside our partners to help develop policies that tackle crucial issues of the time.
(3) Network, having the opportunity to meet leaders who might guide them in years to come, and being a part of the improvement of Nonviolence International network and the opportunity to move forward with our support.
NVI-NY has two programs that enable people to get valuable professional experience while fighting for our causes.
Geared towards working professionals or students who are either in specialized programs or have specific professional skills.
Our Volunteer Program allows those who otherwise would not be able to join due to work schedules or other commitments to do so with customized work flex arrangements.
Artist, lawyers, editors, specialized administrators, etc. all have an opportunity to participate in civil society and work on issues they care on.
Designed mainly for university students striving toward careers in International Diplomacy, International Affairs, and Politics, our program lets those interested gain first-hand experience in the diplomatic struggles between member-states, civil society and other stakeholders at the United Nations.
Our Internship Program works with civil society partners at major high-level conferences and other international agreements, laws, and treaties. Read about our intern's successes.
We research, organize, implement, and then advocate for nonviolent solutions at the United Nations and the international community.
By uniting and empowering the voices of civil society around the world, aiding projects spanning from the empowerment of youth, women, the disabled, the elderly, indigenous people, to the building of a culture of peace and nonviolence both on a local and international scale.
We as an organization amplify the messages of Global Citizenship, International Disarmament the different Sustainable Development Goals and the stories from around the world that would otherwise go unheard.